Student Corner

College and Career Pathways Center

Welcome to the College and Career Pathways Center!

Scholarships & Financial Aid

Students, and parents, are often intimated by the financial aid process. Flushing High School offers support for students every step of the way through this process. Flushing Hosts a Financial Aid Night for students and parents. In addition, our CBO partners AAFE and college advisor, work individually with students needing additional support. Subsequent workshops are held for students and parents to assist them through the entire process. Find out more below!

Do you need money to go to college?

You probably need to fill out the federal government’s Free Application for Federal Student Aid, better known as the FAFSA. This is the first step if you want financial aid from the federal and state government or most colleges. Filling out the FAFSA can be intimidating. Don’t worry: the College Office is here to help!

The FAFSA is an online form designed to take you step-by-step through the questions you need to answer. There is also a great hotline to call for help. As you fill out the form, you can speak with an expert at 1-800-433-3243 who can give you good advice on any question you have. (Some people prefer to fill out the FAFSA on paper and mail it in. That option is available. The FAFSA hotline can help with this as well.)

If you have questions about the FAFSA:

Call the FAFSA hotline at 1-800-433-3243. Call this number for advice on filling out the FAFSA form and for help on other federal financial aid issues. Experts are available to answer your questions Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 10 p.m. (Eastern Time).

The government also provides useful information about the FAFSA and other financial aid options on its Federal Student Aid website.

Planning to file your FAFSA online?

You and your parents will need to get a Personal Identification Number (PIN) so that you can all sign the form electronically. Sign up for a FAFSA PIN today.

Financial Aid Links:


Important Information Regarding Transcript Requests (Updated June 19 2017)

All current and former students please note that there is no longer any need to fill out a form to request your transcript. The process to obtain a transcript has been streamlined for your convenience. To obtain your transcript, simply email the school transcript secretary Diane Erster at

You MUST provide the following information in your email to obtain your transcript:

  • Maiden Name (Name used while attending Flushing High School)
  • Date of Birth
  • Year that your graduated from Flushing High School

Please allow up to 2 weeks to obtain a response regarding your transcript.

What Does Your High School Transcript Say About You?

You’re probably (painfully) aware that your high school transcript is a record of every grade you earned in high school—and that all of those grades are averaged to produce a single number, your cumulative GPA. But admissions officers have their eyes on more than the bottom line. There are other things they examine to get a sense of what kind of college student you’ll be.

Freshman Grades

In case you were thinking they weren’t important, now you know otherwise. Your freshman grades make up (approximately) one-third of your cumulative high school GPA. If you tank freshman year, it will follow you for the next three years. (That includes art class, gym class, music class or anything for which you receive a grade.)


Colleges expect your grades to be consistent or improve. If you received 90's in sophomore year, and 70’s in senior year, they will conclude that you are a capable student who became lazy.


High school graduation requirements vary from school to school. Most students have the opportunity to take more classes (or credits) then are required to graduate. If you take only the minimum, colleges will conclude that you are doing the least you must do to get by. The best high school transcript will show consistent grades in a challenging course load with challenging classes. AP classes or advanced classes impress colleges and tell them that you are ready for college-level work.

Remember: challenge yourself academically!

DIIT Information

  • Submit a ticket online

All technical support requests can be made online at the following locations:

Support for staff(Open external link)

Support for families(Open external link)

Please encourage students and families to submit a ticket online before calling the Help Desk. In many cases, the request form will provide visitors with the answers they need, based on the information they provide, and eliminates the need for them to submit a ticket.


Call the DOE IT Service Desk Directly

Call the DOE IT Service Desk at 718-935-5100. As of September 1, 2021, agents are available 24/7. After selecting the appropriate language, press one of the following options:

¨ For Password Reset press 1

¨ For ATS application Support press 2

¨ For All other Staff Support Requests press 3

¨ If you are a Student or family Member press 


Additional information from the DIIT Help Desk is available for staff at:

Immigrant Resources

Check out the FHS Guidance Page for support services for immigrant families. On this page you will find scholarships and other resources related to post-secondary options.

Attention Seniors:

There is a scholarship specifically for undocumented students which can pay up to $25,000 in books & fees. Any high school senior who is planning to attend college in the fall at one of the partner colleges is eligible.

*DREAMers came to the United States as minors, have graduated from U.S. high schools or earned a U.S. high school equivalency but lack a legal status. This prevents them from accessing any federal aid to help pay for their college education. In order to apply for THEDREAM.US Scholarship, DREAMers must be DACA eligible and have applied for or received DACA approval. Non-U.S. citizens who have received an official Temporary Protected Status designation form the United States may be eligible in certain circumstances.


Question mark art