Community School Partners
The Center for Supportive Schools is proud to be the lead Community-Based Organization at Flushing High School. In partnership with our Community School partners we aim to support the school’s goals but more importantly provide the services & resources for all Flushing High School students to experience success as they complete their high school experience.
Peer Group Connection (PGC): an evidence-based and school-based program that supports and eases students’ successful transitions into middle and high school by tapping into the power of older students to create a nurturing environment for incoming students. This year, Flushing High School has 55 upperclassmen mentoring over 225 freshmen.
In addition to mentoring freshmen on a weekly basis, PGC leaders participate & assist in school events such as: Family Night, Parent Teacher Conferences, Community BBQs, and other events.
Students are welcome to apply to become a PGC Leader every spring.
Success Mentoring is a city-wide strategy designed to target chronically absent students, who are at elevated risk of poor school outcomes, and ultimately of dropping out. The mentoring relationship can be intensive, involving counseling and prolonged interaction. It can also be a more advocate-like connection — one that lets students know that someone is there at school to support them. CSS has three full-time staff members to work with students who may be struggling with academics and/or attendance. Students and parents can sign up a student for a mentor by completing the referral form.
Community School partners, Asian Americans for Equality (AAFE), Child Center of NY (CCNY), Sports and Arts in Schools Foundation (NY Edge), and College Confident also offer Success Mentoring. Please visit their respective page for more information.
Attendance – Did you know?
- Students who miss more than 9 days of school each year to struggle to stay engaged, successful and on track to graduation.
- Students can be chronically absent even if they only miss a day or two every few weeks
- CSS works with Flushing High School guidance counselors & staff to provide support structures to help students remain engaged AND enjoy their high school experiences. There are monthly attendance challenges for all Flushing High School students. Prizes have included:
- McDonald’s breakfast sandwich for the 1st period class with the highest attendance
- Assortment of prizes (Kindle Tablets and Gift Cards to Macy’s, Forever 21, Burger King, Stop and Shop, Foot Locker, etc.) for students who signed up for attendance teams
- Pizza party for the 9th period class with the highest attendance.
Suggestions for prizes are always welcome. Students and parents can submit their suggestions!
AAFE (Asian Americans for Equality)
- Service Learning/ Leadership programs for all grades
- College and Career Advising with AAFE Youth Leaders for 11th and 12th graders
- Mix it Up Lunch Groups
Contact: Larissa Ext. 1958-Room 195E (COLLEGE OFFICE)
CCNY (The Child Center of NY)
- Bilingual Success Mentoring
- Attendance & Academic Coaching
Contact: Michael Ext. 1411-Room 141
- College & Career Advising during school hours
- Bilingual Support (English & Spanish)
Contact: Christabel - Ext. 1958-Room 195E
Center for Supportive Schools
- ENL Support Groups
- PGC Leadership Program
- Attendance Challenges & Flushing Bucks
- Bilingual Success Mentoring
Contact: Brenda or Nick Ext. 1411-Room 141
New York Edge (Sports & Arts in Schools Foundation)
- After School Sports Enrichment and Poetry/ Arts Programs
Contact: Sheldon - Ext. 1412-Room 141
Wellness Center (CCNY)
- Educate students & parents about emotional wellness
- Strategies for Stress Reduction, Time Management, & Impulse/Anger Management
- Clinical & Crisis Intervention as needed (parental consent needed for therapeutic services
- Lunch Groups (Wednesday & Fridays)
Contact: Thalia Ext. 2700-Room 270